Riding the Silk Road, 2002-2009)

Riding the Silk Road, 2002-2009)
Where it all began: Xian, May 2002

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

In Iran!!

Wednesday, July 15, Bushehr

After two and a half very frustrating days of delay, I've finally made it to the Islamic Republic of Iran, after a ferry that started after midnight and got in at 5 pm. It's a relief to have made it, and to think that, if all goes well, I will have taken my last public transport for at least four months. I hate not being in control of when I leave, and a two and a half day delay did nothing to cure me of this hatred.

Bushehr is a relief after Kuwait; although the temperature was 33 degrees when I rolled my bike ashore, it was fully 15 degrees cooler than in Kuwait, and instead of a dragon's breath wind roaring in off the desert, pleasant sea breezes cool the town in the late afternoon. I toured the local "sights", such as they are (crumbling houses from eighty years ago that, except for the old British Consulate, were never much to look at), changed some money and am now about to get some sleep in preparation for an early departure tomorrow morning to beat the heat. I hope to be in Shiraz in three days, via some interesting ruins at Bishapur, and in either Esfahan or Yazd five days after that. My route choice will depend on what's going on with visa extensions; I only got 15 days on my visa, so I need at least another two weeks to make it to the Azeri frontier and see the sights along the way.

Anyway, after months of anticipation and weeks of preparation and slow travel to get here, the first pedal strokes of the trip will take place tomorrow morning. Only 6000 meandering kilometres to go until I reach the Mediterranean! I can't wait!



No comments:

Post a Comment